Wednesday 4 December 2013

Film Poster: Photography

I went to the park bright and early with our protagonist to get a photoshoot done for my film poster. I chose a park because, with its paths and benches, it's still reminiscent of a city and the right setting for the film. It's also December right now so all of the leaves are turning a bright orange - this is the exact splash of colour I needed to bring my poster to life. Here is my review of the morning's work.

These three shots were the best examples of the reason why it was so easy for me to pick my best ones. It took me a few tries to get used to the camera and get the angle right. In the first, the focus is all out. The protagonist is blurred, so the picture is of no use to me. After I’d gotten myself into a better relationship with the camera I managed to get the focus more on the character than on the background, which was what I wanted. I had the idea to go for a low-angle shot in the second picture in order to try and make things more interesting and highlight how important the character was, but I realised this wouldn’t work with the idea I had for the shadow overtaking the picture, so it had to be scrapped. For the third picture I was very close to getting what I needed. My protagonist had to stand further away and the camera had to be straight on – but he had to be in the right third of the shot so the figure wouldn’t cover him. I was close with this last one, but he was so far away you couldn’t really make a lot of him out, so this one was useless, too. Luckily I did get some good ones after this.

These two pictures were, by far, the best from the collection I gathered. The focus is right, the angles are right, and I’ve used the rule of thirds to keep them interesting. Unsurprisingly, the actor who was supposed to be my protagonist for the morning came over with an unfortunate case of bone-in-his-leg-itis and couldn’t make the photoshoot, so I was forced to use the same model, but I’m planning on doing some cropping, editing, and layering to put the pictures together and make them look like different people. I’ll also tint the photo to bring out the bright orange and green colours in the background and bring some life to the poster later on.

1 comment:

  1. Great location choice and the autumnal leaves add such depth of colour and tone. You explain your ideas very well. Can you ensure you also add some pics from your front cover shoot.

    ReplyDelete