Monday 2 December 2013

Film Magazine Cover: Masthead Font

I've decided to have a look at some ideas for the fonts I could use for my masthead. I've chosen to go with the name 'REEL' for my film magazine as it refers directly to a crucial part of film's history and is a reference that everybody will know.
I collected these samples online from a font download website. After putting them all together for clear viewing, I asked my sister which one looked the most professional and she said, "The one on the bottom right." After having another look over, I mentioned to her that this looked a lot like the font that the company Rimmel use for their make-up so some uneducated commonfolk may assume that this is a fashion magazine. She then suggested, very enthusiastically, "The bottom left, then." I told her that I felt it was perhaps too childish to have such bold letting and that, even though I want the masthead to stand out, I don't want it to overpower the features of the cover themselves.
She got tired of my arguments and, in the end, agreed with me in picking the Milford Black (Version 1.00) (on the middle-right) as the little dent in the tail of the 'R' makes it look unique but still clear and professional. I may colour it red once I get my issue together to stick more with the theme of my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment